So lately I’ve been watching a lot of those animes that are widely regarded on the interwebs as “awesome”. But after Planetes… whoosh. I’m not sure I’ll be able to take it if I find something better than this.
I finished the last four episodes yesterday so I figured today I would write a post, but I’m realizing that there’s not much to write about because I actually can’t think of a single thing that’s bad about Planetes. So I guess I’ll just be extolling the wonders of it. In bullet points.
- The relaxing, slightly episodic slice of life in the shows’ first half about hauling space debris
- The lovely OP which grew on me with each episode and immediately killed all stress
- The turning point in the middle that HIDES the fact it’s the turning point so you think everything is okay and will continue being relaxing and slightly episodic
- OH MY GOD
- The fantasticness of the second half in which the amount of drama just sort of slowly grows and grows until you’re sitting on the edge of your seat
- The moment you realize you’re sitting on the edge of your seat and wondering what happened to the first half of the show
- Tanabe and Hachimaki
- The one deus ex machina moment is totally killed by having a time leap right before it happens so you only see it in flashback and are kept wondering what the hell happened there
- The fact that the characters save themselves
- I kept expecting people to leap out and save them but THEY NEVER DID
- The creators weren’t afraid to make the main characters look deranged for the sake of development
- I would like to kiss the person who wrote this
- The ending. My god.
- The REALISM.
- The issues brought up about space development were just so real. You may be developing space and breaking out to find new resources, but at the same time you’re leaving all the third world countries behind.
- The music that plays over the next episode preview
- The plot twists!
- THE ENDING
All right. Maybe in a couple months I’ll be rational enough to write an actual, helpful review but right now I just have to go move Planetes into my favorites on MAL and cry some more because it’s over.